Love grows from the rich foam of forgiveness, mongrels make good dogs, and the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things.
~ Wally Lamb: I Know This Much is True
Things I know to be true:
- Do not fly Southwest and connect through Orlando on a Saturday morning.
- Park a tad closer to the terminal.
- Prepare coffee at the condo before jet setting off for the weekend. No one wants to do this at midnight on a Sunday. And NO ONE REALLY wants to have forgotten this at 4.45a on a Monday morning.
- Do not rip your hands up on a pull-up bar before a weekend home. You will want full use of your hands.
- Appreciate. Appreciate. Appreciate.
- Gift a little and love a lot.
- Pack lightly.
- Do not over-extend. The moments sitting and talking and being still are where the memories are.
Things I know to be good:
- We are a part of one another. I brought dear husband a bag of coffee beans from a roaster that I discovered; he gifted me beans from a shop we frequented over our wedding weekend.
- He loves butter, so I replaced our butter dish. “It’s a cow! It’s a blue cow! I love it!” He sent me a peacock blue Louis Vuitton to match my eyes.
- We spent one day of our short weekend on the beach and the second day running errands. We cooked, we drank good wine, we laughed, and it was home.
- At the airport the Child instigated a ‘family hug’ and then seamlessly took a serious moment and guided us all into laughter. We are the loud family you secretly want to be in on.
Fridays are good. Holidays are good. Long weekends are good. Knowing he is always here? That I know is true.